The Grand Gateway, the historic main entrance to Hermann Park, includes the area from the Mecom Fountain to the Sam Houston Monument, erected in 1925, and the stretch of parkland along Main Street from the Fountain to the Texas Medical Center. Planned in 1915, the axis of Main and Montrose was punctuated with an elliptical sunken garden (later replaced by the Mecom Fountain), while South Main Street was designed as an oak-lined parkway.

The Grand Gateway renovation project has beautified the area while creating a safe connection to communities surrounding the Park and offering a proper welcome to one of Houston’s most historic green spaces.